Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 16 December 2006: Dallas, TX
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the show at the Nokia Theatre in Dallas, TX?

Post your impressions/photos/reviews here.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend this show.

Thanks!

Zappa.com Admin
www.zappa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:58 am 

Dweezil, Dweezil, Dweezil!!!!
First of all you must have the balls of a whale for taking this on. Your talent, hard work and humility pulled this off beautifully. What a great show!
The band is awesome! Of course Vai and Bozzio are incredible forces of nature, but I must say extra kudos to Mr. Murphy Brock for performing with such joy and absolutely nailing those vocals.
Thanks for playing Black Napkins. I saw Frank at the Tower in Philly around '84 and that was the one song I wanted to here and sure enough he walked out and played it first thing. You made me wait a little longer but it was worth it. Can't wait to here you playing Watermelon in Easter Hay.
Heartfelt thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:10 am 

Dweezil, hold up a copy of TIME magazine to your face, because you are The Person of the YEAR! (I created a new cover for the magazine, but don't know how to include it here...DANG!)

This is a "must see" show for all of you that did not get to see FZ before his untimely passing in '93 (including me). Dweezil leads the band in his calm quiet manner, which makes for a most enjoyable show.

After comparing the playlist to a few of the last shows, I am pleased to report that Terry Bozzio performed "Punky's Whips", which was a nice surprise! Upon introduction of the song, Terry shared a story about how FZ used to refer to him as the "cute one". "I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute, I'm so cute,..." ...you get the idea!

The rest of the band was awesome. Napoleon, with his endless energy, and Sheila's cool dance moves, made it nearly impossible to decide who to keep my eyes on.

There were a lot of shouts for special requests, but DZ simply reminded the crowd that there are are about 75 albums to choose from, and they have learned only ~40 songs for the tour. He then said this means he would like to do this again next year! I don't know about you, but I'll be there every time ZPZ comes to town.

I will definitely buy the DVD when the tour is done!

FZ lives!

Last edited by motorpsych0 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Wow what an amazing show
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:11 am 

Incredible show. I took my 18 year old son and his reaction when we left said it all: "Wow, that is the best concert I've ever seen". I'd have to say it was right up there for me as well.

DZ has put together an amazing group of musicians. Thank you from all of us for sharing your incredible talents.

Post subject: Third row
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:24 am 

Should have mentioned, we were in the third row, well worth the extra bucks. I'm really glad we won that auction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:17 pm 

As a long time Zappa fan, I must say, Dweezil, Dad would be quite proud of last nights performance. It was not only playfully entertaining, but also heart felt and honestly sincere. In my shameless opinion, this concert was the greatest possible tribute to FZ's music ever possible, and it was still better than that. And dude, you shred!

Post subject: Incredible
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:47 pm 

Another long time Zappa fan here, although I never had the good fortune to catch FZ in concert. After attending this show, I am convinced that this is as good as it gets without the master himself being present. I'm blown away by the note for note performances of pieces like Andy, Inca Roads (one of my all time faves of ANY artist), Florentine Pogen, Sofa, Echidna's, BP1 & 2, Zomby Woof, Peaches,wow. Dweezil - a standing O for your efforts, studying Frank's work, putting this amazing band together, and the guitar technique. I closed my eyes several times and easily imagined your dad up there in front of us, tearing it up. My face hurts from smiling. :D

I liked the balance of the great young players with the selected FZ veterans. They were so tight it was sick! What a treat to hear and watch NMB (he sounds like he did in the 70's), and the amazing Vai and Bozzio. BTW - Bozzio needs more cymbals, and cowbell. The band should have been arrested immediately following the show, since "you can't do that on stage anymore". :wink:

Is it true that you're filming the Seattle and Portland shows for DVD? I sure hope so.

Curious - I read that earlier shows had a screen with FZ soloing on top of the live band. Where was it? No matter, the show still ripped.

Dweezil, band and crew: thank you so much for an amazing night of FZ's music. Please come back to Dallas - maybe next time the show will actually be promoted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:09 pm 

I was amazed at last night's show! Very tight presentation of some of the most difficult music in the world. I hope you guys get to keep doing this for a long time. Oh, and next time, we're coming with more people, so you're gonna need a bigger boat. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:13 pm 

I consider myself lucky to have seen FZ live twice. This definately brought back some memories... Excellent show!!! Did anyone happen to note the entire playlist? I tried to remember them all, but it may not happen...

Post subject: set list
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:21 pm 

I think this was the set list, scarfed it from prior review:

Andy (opener)
Inca Roads
Sofa #1 (closer)
Florentine Pogen
Don't Eat the Yellow Snow (the whole epic, but without "Nanook Rubs It")
Black Page #1
Black Page #2
Cheepnis
Pygmy Twylyte
Tell Me You Love Me
Call Any Vegetable (different arrangement)
Zomby Woof
I'm the Slime
I'm So Cute
Tryin' to Grow a Chin
Punky's Whips
Oh No / Orange County Lumber Truck / Harry, You're a Beast
Trouble Every Day
The Idiot Bastard Son
Montana
Peaches en Regalia
Village of the Sun
Black Napkins
Echidna's Arf (Of You)

Post subject: Nokia Theater Dallas Texas 12-16-06
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:41 am 

What else is there to say other than NMB is the BEST front man ever in the history of music.I have been a Zappa fanatic since October of 1978 and The Dallas show was my second ZPZ show this year and it was most incredible due to the fact that the fans were so receptive towards the band and the music as apposed to the October K.C show I saw where the crowd was way to reserved (no pun intended towards K.C folks).I am really at a loss for words on what exactley to write about this show and I am no journalist to fill your heads full of bullshit.I will make it short and sweet by saying over 3 hours of as close as you will ever get to hearing Franks music the way it should be played with tons and tons of energy and notes that filled the Texas air.I cant give enough thanks to Mr.Dweezil Zappa for making it all come true.I was especially happy to hear when Dweezil told the audience about continuing the ZPZ tour next year.So many good songs were played last night and if you are really a "Hardcore" Zappa fan as I am then you can understand the tears I jerked along with a BIG smile during "Village of the sun".There is NO other music in the world that is capable of making me shiver and giving me tingles up and down my entire 43 year old body other than when I hear a Zappa solo and or any other music that I can just close my eyes and float while listening to a Zappa solo.I really hope that Dweezil will consider "Watermelon in easter hay" next time around but I think I read how it is quite emotional for him to undertake so I will just be patient.I will be back to the next show at any cost.

p.s Mr.Dweezil Zappa will you please consider bringing ZPZ to the the historic Brady Theater in Tulsa Oklahoma where your Father (R.I.P) recorded "Hog Heaven" when I was a young 17 and Lil' Stevie Vai was 19 years old on 10-18-80....I will make sure all 3000 plus seats are sold :)

A brief summary of the road trip
Gasoline from Tulsa to Dallas and back $80.00
3 ZPZ tickets $150.00 plus service charge
George W.Bush toll charges $3.50
Ghetto Motel 8 $120.00
ZPZ shirts and sweatshirts $300.00
Cocktails $200.00
2 great friends and navigators $ priceless
Anxiety from driving in Dallas traffic 10 years off my life
The chance to see this ZPZ again $ priceless

"THANKS SO MUCH DWEEZIL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND TO ALL OF MY FELLOW ZAPPA FANS" ....cheers from Tulsa the official recording ground of "Hog Heaven" .....zeets :)

p.s if anyone has the "Sober version" of the complete set-list please email it to me zappalaney@yahoo.com

Last edited by zeets on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:05 am 

This was a very enjoyable show, and as a long-time Zappa fan, it was basically everything I had hoped for. Great long set spanning most of Zappa's career, exceptional musicians, and phenomenal performances. The long song towards the beginning of the night where Dweezil directed the group in finest Frank-style... every member got extended solo and jam time, the groove was really moving, and I was in heaven. I can't believe I don't remember the song, but this was the highlight of the evening for me. Absolutely amazing.

Also, Black Page was perfect.

I sat in the "300" section, dead center, just behind/above FOH. Production quality overall was extremely high, every instrument was full, rich, and clear.

I did, however, have a few complaints. Primarily, I was bothered by the overall level of Dweezil's guitar. When he was just vamping in the background, he was still loud enough to drown out background vocals, and when he soloed you often lost entire parts of the band (and this was usually painfully loud.)

I understand (as a long-time engineer for a smaller venue) that when the guy's name is on the marquee, you keep him in the "front", but I grew tired of listening "through" the guitar to hear a sax solo.

I walked around the theater several times, including a trip to stand directly in front of FOH. The mix was extremely consistent, there really is no bad seat in the nokia theater (and I loved having the concert piped into the lobby and bathroom when I made the obligatory trip.) With this in mind, I must assume that Dweezil's level was a personal decision on the part of the FOH engineer (Glynn Wood), or he was given specific instruction.

The overall volume of the show was pretty high as well, and I spent parts of it with my earplugs in. I'm no stranger to loud shows (having worked many LOUD acts) but I did not expect to use the plugs last night, and my ears were still ringing when I woke up this morning. :-(

Lighting was overall very good, and did not distract from the performance, while highlighting the current singer/solo-er well. Like the audio, Dweezil stayed in a spotlight for 90% of the show, even when he wasn't playing and another member was singing, un-spotted (usually this was Scheila.)

Side note - Scheila was the biggest surprise of the evening. With her powerful voice, flawless playing, non-stop dancing and great backing commentary, I think she could have passed Frank's notorious tryouts with flying colors.

Again, this was almost everything I hoped for. (Mandatory $12 parking, with absolutely no free options? What the hell?) \

Thank you to everyone involved.

--Snack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:55 pm 

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to preface my remarks by admitting up front that I'm a longtime friend of a band member & an old road dog usually way too fed up with regurgitated, derivative rock to attend shows I'm not working. I probably would not have gone to this one if not for the opportunity to hang a little longer with an old friend. Anyway, on to my "review":

The performance was incredible in all respects. All the players are masters of their craft, which is a damn good thing -- there is no way merely good players could do justice to FZ's work. There was never a moment I felt anyone on the stage wasn't pouring 100% of their massive talents into the performance ... & having a ball doing it. Frank probably would have found something to criticize about it but I couldn't, & I'm pretty picky about such things.

A word about the mix & levels: I walked the room too, & it couldn't have been mixed any better given the stage levels involved. DZ's guitar was a bit too loud at times, but this originated at the stage, not in the mix. I'm **really** picky about this -- I've made my living mixing live acts for 30 years & believe me, this was a great mix that did exactly what it was supposed to do: support the show, not dominate it.

To DZ & the band in general: please don't mistake the occasional subdued crowd reaction for lack of appreciation. From where I sat, it was obvious a lot of people were just too awed or overjoyed with what they were hearing to break the spell by making a lot of noise. In fact, it seems absurd to hear people yelling at other crowd members to shut up at a high decibel rock concert, but it happened. There was just too much good stuff to hear to want to contend with the added noise of someone operating their mouth when they should have been operating their ears.

My fondest moment of the show: early on DZ speculated that it must have been weird to be growing up in Texas when Freak Out! was released, to play it for people, & have them think there was something deeply wrong with you for loving it. That is exactly what happened to me, & it's nice to know -- now -- that I was not alone.

The show was working against the lean pockets effect of the Christmas season, a number of better promoted shows the same night, & incredible unseasonably warm weather that had people enjoying the outdoors while it lasted, yet the show drew quite well. Next time, I'm sure it will do better still.

So much for "No Commercial Potential," huh?

Post subject: Zappa Plays Zappa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:47 am 

The minute I found out about the concert tour in Guitar Player, I was online checking to see if it was coming to Dallas. When I found it was, then I waited patiently for the presale tickets to become available. I brought my 27 year old daughter. I haven't been to a Zappa since the Overnight Sensation / Apostrophe Tour in the 70's, I thought that was it when Frank past. Thanks Dweezil for making this happen. I haven't enjoyed a show as much since my 1st Zappa show. Thanks again & I hope you do it again next year. I will definetly be there & I'm bringing both of my Daughters.

Post subject: Photos posted
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:21 am 

Hi everyone,
I posted about 30 photos of Dweezil and the band from Saturday night's show in Dallas. You can view them at my blog. The link is
http://www.alleyalex.com/blog/ZappaPlaysZappa

You can click on the thumbnails to view the photos. I loaded them as 1024x768. You can also right click on the full view of the photo and save a copy of the jpg at the 1024x768 size.

Amy