Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: more zappa
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:39 pm 

I first discovered Frank Zappa on the news,the day he died. The news was followed by a documentary on his live. I was 14 years old and a pretty angry teenager.blown away by this new music I had never heard before. so for me, Frank Zappa music is always linked to him being dead.I was so happy yesterday to see and hear this music alive. Its such great music to be performed live, and I never thought of getting that chance. altough I thought that the band (Dweezil) was a bit tensed, it was great to be there, hearing it all.I want to go again because I wanted to go so much and I was so flabergasted by hearing Zappa's music, I was so high that I dind get to enjoy all the flavours. it was like a cup of coffee you really look forward to, in the morning or after diner, as soon as you have that damping cup in front of you , you just gulp it down your throat being all happy about it, but as soon as you see the cup empty in front of you, you realize that you didnt really taste it.. you need another one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:10 pm 

I first discovered Zappa when I lived in England in 1985 in an international boarding school. A guy from Peru got some tapes that I borrowed. On them Sheik Yerbouty an Joe's Garage. From then on I was sold! I saw Zappa live in concert in may 1988 in Rotterdam. It was a great show, but I wasn't into Franks guitarsolo's so I didn't enjoy every bit of the concert, but just the highlights made it one of the best concerts I ever saw. Later on I was thrilled to find a big part of that performance on the Bast band you...and make a jazz noise CD. But yesterday's concert was much beter, not because I'm much more familiar with Zappa's music (Got almost all his cd's) but I was standing realy close to the stage.
Boy what could they play.

Zappa RuleZ!

Last edited by Reinbo on Thu May 18, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:51 pm 

Hey Laetitia, we must be about the same age then :)

I first discovered Frank Zappa when my dad played his music. I was just very young then and I didn't understand it very much in the beginning. I prefered the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. I still like those actually, but I started to realise the brilliance of Frank Zappa the more I listened to it and understood it. Now FZ represents a very substantial part of my music collection, the tunes I have in my head daily, and the things I (try to) play on the guitar when it's not my own work. I stepped into the FZ world with the Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation album (two original records that were merged onto one CD together), which I can recommend to any beginner who wants to be introduced to FZ. It's relatively accessible and a lot of fun.

Post subject: When I discovered Zappa
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:29 am 

I discovered Frank Zappa's name in a book on guitar (La Guitare, éditions Bordas) where some very famous guitar players were described in 1-2 pages. The summary on FZ struck me and made me want to discover his music. This was in 1984, I was 14. But the first time I heard FZ music was in 1988 with "Broadway the Hard Way" and "The Grand Wazoo". I did not really like BtHW in the first place, but I directly fell in love with GW. shortly after I discoverd "Uncle Meat" and then, bit by bit, I discovered all his previous records. Unfortunately, I never saw FZ live. So I'm really happy to have the ticket for the Brussels concert on May 30th (it's the day of may birthday, so it'll be a very nice present). Actually, I already bought the ticket for the initial November concert... I can't wait seeing this show.

Kinne
Brussels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:23 am 

Same here, I like Broadway the hard way, but not in particular. And I don't think it forms a very good introduction to Zappa's work. It's probably nicer if you're already familiar with it.

Post subject: zappa
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:18 am 

Ive been a frank zappa fan for 10 years. And there is not a day that doesnt go by, that i dont listen to zappa.Saw the show monday night in amsterdam, and it blew me away. Didnt have the pleasure in seeing the man himself perform, but dweezil did his dad and himself proud.The man was-is a genius.

Post subject: Looking for some good books about Zappa for Xmas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:47 pm 

My husband's a big fan, and for Christmas, I'd like to get him a book about Zappa. There are more out there than I expected; are there any recommendations? He read "Real Frank Zappa." I"m thinking about "Cosmik Debris," "MY Brother Was A Mother" or "Academy Zappa," but I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for something that is more than just a regular bio, because he's read that. I want something that gives him an insight into or extra info about Frank and his music. I want something that is truthful or legitimate; I don't want a book with questionable content that isn't verifiable or seems fabricated. One reviewer on Amazon mentioned something called the "Zappa Family Trust Accepted Reading List(tm)," but I came up with nothing when I Googled it. Could someone provide a link to that list and suggest some books to choose from. Christmas is coming up soon, so there is a time crunch. PLEASE HELP! My husband is possibly the best gift-giver in the world and always seems to find the perfect gift for me. I want to make him as happy as he makes me-- and if I have to do it through unfettered capitalist consumerism, then so be it! ;) Any and all suggetions are appreciated!

About my husband: He's smart, well-read, loves unusual music, loves reading, Zappa fan since tweens, has a wife that can't stand his music, but loves him enough to still buy it and books about it--as long as she doesn't have to be subjected to either and has a young son who inherited his father's "interesting" taste in music.

Post subject: Re: Looking for some good books about Zappa for Xmas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:46 pm 

husbandsafan wrote:
<snip>"Zappa Family Trust Accepted Reading List(tm),"<snip>

Zappa's close relatives are hiding behind the "Zappa Family Trust" (ZFT) label. So if there's a list of "accepted reading", it could either mean that the content is "more accurate" or that the ZFT simply doesn't like opinions expressed in other books. This doesn't mean that these other books are bad.
On the Zappa.com website (see http://www.zappa.com/fz/books/index.shtml, there are only two books. Maybe that you shouldn't focus too much on this "accepted reading quality label".

I'm currently reading "Frank Zappa" by Barry Miles. It's a recent biography (2004) with interesting interviews. I like it because it sometimes confronts Zappa's own point of views expressed in interviews or in his self-writtten biography ("The Real FZ Book") with opinions of other band members or witnesses. Maybe that this tend to provide for a bit more "objectivity", although I don't believe that a biography could be "objective" anyway.

Before that, I read Neil Slaven's "Zappa: Electric Don Quixote", also a good biography, very well known among Zappa fans.

There are indeed books on the market that "analyse" Zappa's work, but some folks tend to see things behind Zappa's work that were never intended in the first place and that FZ himself would probably find really weird. I'm not sure that these books are really interesting. I for one, as a Zappa fan, wouldn't buy them myself.

Please note, that there are also recently published CDs, like "Trance-Fusion", or the "Making of Freak Out" (MO/FO), a collector available only through direct order at Zappa.com. Maybe it could still arrive on time. These are certainly must-haves for every loyal Zappa fan. If your husband hasn't bought these yet, you should consider the purchase. But on the other hand... the torture inflicted to you by this music will never end -and a book is quiet.

Hey, and if you really do want to make your husband a favor, listen to some Zappa's lyrics as an inspiration for the Xmas evening (try some "Dina-moe-hum"... or "pinguin in bondage") :twisted:
OK ok... sorry... just kidding ;-) :shock: