Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 10 April 2009: Byron Bay, AUSTRALIA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at the Byron Bay Blues Fest?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 10 April 2009: Byron Bay, AUSTRALIA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:20 am 

We caught the show on last tour in both Brisbane and Sydney and couldn't wait to see it again on our home turf of Byron Bay. We were mixed in with the middle crowd, glowing at the fact that everyone just loved the amazing music spectacular - many discovering this music for the first time.
You guys as a 6 piece are just as awesome as ever. Our personal favourite Magic Numbers...
Will be there again tonight at the Tivoli. Love the sound of the new rig Dweezil, and Scheila you rock girl! Please keep spreading the gospel. All the best to you in Australia, cheers Kate & Brad - Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:55 am 

A circus tent, humidity & mud.. Start of a great night. Shame about the festival format: I'd have been happy to let zpz play through till the dawn (like, I'm sure the back catalog would stretch to that!! Probably a bit of an ask of your VERY capable band's stamina though..).

What can I say? I'm a very greedy fan... I can't get enough. So the song choice? Excellent cross section: hope you got through to the uninitiated throng. I've been addicted since I was 12.. 40 in May.

Saw the last show at the Enmore Theatre on your first tour of Oz. A very special show, but I digress..

Pygmy Twylyte has always been a huge fave of mine too, so thanx for it's inclusion. Great to hear Magic Fingers (but when the f*** is 200 Motels gonna get a DVD release???), and Willie The Pimp always is gonna bring a tear to this eye..

If my funding was limitless (sadly, not..), I'd be following every zpz show, believe me.

Keep coming back to Australia, mate!! I know I need more. 12th row at State Theatre in Sydney next week will have to tide me by till wealth permits.

You rock!! Keep it alive!

"The present day fan refuses to die!" - &i Devine

Thanxx

Last edited by &i Devine on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:08 am 

Re my previous post, obviously I meant Magic Fingers not Numbers - must be the GFC talkfest running through my head (media brainwashing?). Apologies to Mikey, Dweezil, band, crew, fans and anyone I may have offended. My boyfriend is horrorfied by my temporary lapse and has been telling me that I am no longer worthy of Zappa listenings and must go back to my David Cassidy collection.
Happy ZPZ travels to you all, Kate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:48 pm 

As is expected in a non-soundcheck-festival-type situation, there were FOH mix issues early on and some obvious monitor issues throughout, but a few songs into the gig the mix was sounding great! Pete attacked the entire set like a man possessed! His enthusiasm was infectious.

***EDIT: I just read Pete's blog post about watching Fishbone and asking himself "How the hell are we going to follow this?" I guess that explains why he tore into Apostrophe as if his life depended on it!***

Scheila has an awesome voice for lead vocals. It will be interesting to see who the new lead vocalist is soon. The Pound For a Brown solos were all killer and the audience responded well to Dweezil's conducting of them...

From memory, songs included (in no particular order)

Apostrophe
I'm The Slime
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf
Dirty Love
Magic Fingers
Penguin in Bondage
Tell Me You Love Me
Pygmy Twylyte
Peaches En Regalia
Cosmic Debris
Pound For a Brown
Willie The Pimp

It was great to see lots of enthusiastic young people down the front loving the show.

The stripped down core band is still just mind blowing. You guys won over a lot of new fans last night!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:24 pm 

You guys as a 6 piece are just as awesome as ever. Our personal favourite Magic Numbers...