Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 04 August 2011: Portland, ME
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:21 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at The State Theatre in Portland, ME?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 04 August 2011: Portland, ME
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 pm 

Thank you for coming to Portland to melt my face off. I was totally blown away. Amazing show, great setlist. Talk about filling big shoes!!

Jeremy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 pm 

Great Show. I've seen 10+ and been present for at least one on every tour. The band was looking very relaxed and comfortable at the State last night, and they seemed very appreciative of us Mainers. Come back to Portland soon! I took down the setlist on my cell phone, and have recalled what I can remember about the songs:

Heavy Duty Judy - Mini solo from Sheila. Good Opener

Magic Fingers – 200 Motels version meets YCDTOSA6 version. Wish I could have seen them do this with Mark/Howard (Flo/Eddie) at Dwezilla concert week before.

City of Tiny Lights – Sheila busts out a solo and then trades with DZ. Nice to see Chris singing. Great Voice. Vocals could have been louder.

Big Swifty – Ben did a jaw harp vocal freestyle, and then created some audience participation that created some dissonance and then encouraged the audience to dig into the imagination of the imaginer. DZ called him Willy Wonka. Funny stuff. Pete got down on the bass like the badass that he is. Jamie then nailed an awesome guitar solo with a L. Shankar like effect on the guitar and feel.

Cheepnis – Classic Roxy version

Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing – Ladies and Gentleman, Watch Billy. Billy, as always, demonstrated his Mountain of talent. Sheila gives the audience a very jazzy treat, followed by Joe and Joe with Billy. DZ ripped out a funky solo and tasteful solo. For a guy who now has his name at the front of the band, his playing was very humble, and almost slightly reserved at times, and rather than steal the show, he really seemed to be all about the band last night.

Room Service – YCDTOSA2 version with the phone call between Sheila and DZ with an interesting accent from Sheila. DZ wasn’t looking for pussy, boulibase, or a bible. Joe pounded out a sweet drum solo.

Cletus Awreetus Alrightus – Wazoo! Need I say more. This band takes it back to 72.

What’s the Ugliest Part of Your Body – The crowd loved the trip back to WOIFTM. I feel like this crowd would have really dug some more original mothers stuff, as would I. Haven’t seen an amazing brown shoes since the video screen tour that freaked out a bit more.

Son of Mr. Green Genes – Green Genes got the first standing O. DZ did the solo note for note. This was an awesome tune. Probably the best of the night.

Fifty Fifty – Instrumental Version. Common Ben, where’s your Ricky Lancelotti

Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow – Ben and the band got the unmitigated audacity to rock this one out for those in the audience who realized this was the first tune of the night they recognized

Saint Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast – Heavy Jam on top of those pancakes

Rollo – While Green Genes was the best of the night, this made the whole show for me. I’ve never seen a Rollo. This was almost as exciting as the first time ZPZ played Dog Breath for me in the VIP Montreal session. Love that you guys are going there. I think maybe next time I’ll get a rocking untouchables version of Strictly Genteel

Encore

Pojama People – Unplanned, as the band looked like they were really feeling the crowd at this point

Peaches and Regalia – I was watching them play this thinking back to the first tour when they were all on their toes to pull it off, or moments like the trifecta’s from a few years past. Now everyone just instinctively feels these and they make it look so damn easy.

Dancin’ Fool – I unbuttoned the top two buttons on my shirt for this one

Willie the Pimp – Finally, the whole crowd gets up! I think the State could pull off a standing show for the next one with you guys, or at least half of it. I came down the center isle and finished the night in the front. Billy took a pic of me. Great Finish.

Come back soon. Play a completely different set for us. I don’t think you’ll be able to get a ticket day of next time you guys roll into town. If I was going to be critical of anything, I felt like DZ might have held back a little on his solos and really focused on the band as a whole, which is interesting to me seeing now the the show is DZPZ instead of ZPZ. Past shows I’ve felt like DZ was the main attraction, rightfully so, but the show last night really came off as a team effort. So this is more of a kudos. Pete was kinda hangin out with Joe and Chris most of the night rather than out front. Jamie was doing his thing that he does so well supporting the sound. Being a sax player, I do focus on Sheila quite a bit. Last night everyone was on point, Ben has really come a long way. I like that last night didn’t feel like a solo fest like the last show I saw at house of blues in Boston (although I still can’t get over Sheila’s Gumbo that opened that show). Less can be more and it doesn’t become the whole I’m peaking I’m peaking thing. With that said, I feel that everyone could have turned their solo’s up a notch based on past performances that just make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Thanks guys for making my week.

My hair is getting good in the back,

rfus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:48 pm 

[quote="jrconn00"]Thank you for coming to Portland to melt my face off. I was totally blown away. Amazing show, great setlist. Talk about filling big shoes!!

Jeremy[/quote]

Jeremy could you shed any light for me on just who the hell the opening band is ....I assumed it was Coreas band and ZPZ was the headliner..........im getting conflicting stories now .....thanks from Tulsa ...........Laney'
please respond to my personal email if possible ...................zappalaney@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm 

[quote="rfus"]Great Show. I've seen 10+ and been present for at least one on every tour. The band was looking very relaxed and comfortable at the State last night, and they seemed very appreciative of us Mainers. Come back to Portland soon! I took down the setlist on my cell phone, and have recalled what I can remember about the songs:

Heavy Duty Judy - Mini solo from Sheila. Good Opener

Magic Fingers – 200 Motels version meets YCDTOSA6 version. Wish I could have seen them do this with Mark/Howard (Flo/Eddie) at Dwezilla concert week before.

City of Tiny Lights – Sheila busts out a solo and then trades with DZ. Nice to see Chris singing. Great Voice. Vocals could have been louder.

Big Swifty – Ben did a jaw harp vocal freestyle, and then created some audience participation that created some dissonance and then encouraged the audience to dig into the imagination of the imaginer. DZ called him Willy Wonka. Funny stuff. Pete got down on the bass like the badass that he is. Jamie then nailed an awesome guitar solo with a L. Shankar like effect on the guitar and feel.

Cheepnis – Classic Roxy version

Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing – Ladies and Gentleman, Watch Billy. Billy, as always, demonstrated his Mountain of talent. Sheila gives the audience a very jazzy treat, followed by Joe and Joe with Billy. DZ ripped out a funky solo and tasteful solo. For a guy who now has his name at the front of the band, his playing was very humble, and almost slightly reserved at times, and rather than steal the show, he really seemed to be all about the band last night.

Room Service – YCDTOSA2 version with the phone call between Sheila and DZ with an interesting accent from Sheila. DZ wasn’t looking for pussy, boulibase, or a bible. Joe pounded out a sweet drum solo.

Cletus Awreetus Alrightus – Wazoo! Need I say more. This band takes it back to 72.

What’s the Ugliest Part of Your Body – The crowd loved the trip back to WOIFTM. I feel like this crowd would have really dug some more original mothers stuff, as would I. Haven’t seen an amazing brown shoes since the video screen tour that freaked out a bit more.

Son of Mr. Green Genes – Green Genes got the first standing O. DZ did the solo note for note. This was an awesome tune. Probably the best of the night.

Fifty Fifty – Instrumental Version. Common Ben, where’s your Ricky Lancelotti

Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow – Ben and the band got the unmitigated audacity to rock this one out for those in the audience who realized this was the first tune of the night they recognized

Saint Alphonzo’s Pancake Breakfast – Heavy Jam on top of those pancakes

Rollo – While Green Genes was the best of the night, this made the whole show for me. I’ve never seen a Rollo. This was almost as exciting as the first time ZPZ played Dog Breath for me in the VIP Montreal session. Love that you guys are going there. I think maybe next time I’ll get a rocking untouchables version of Strictly Genteel

Encore

Pojama People – Unplanned, as the band looked like they were really feeling the crowd at this point

Peaches and Regalia – I was watching them play this thinking back to the first tour when they were all on their toes to pull it off, or moments like the trifecta’s from a few years past. Now everyone just instinctively feels these and they make it look so damn easy.

Dancin’ Fool – I unbuttoned the top two buttons on my shirt for this one

Willie the Pimp – Finally, the whole crowd gets up! I think the State could pull off a standing show for the next one with you guys, or at least half of it. I came down the center isle and finished the night in the front. Billy took a pic of me. Great Finish.

Come back soon. Play a completely different set for us. I don’t think you’ll be able to get a ticket day of next time you guys roll into town. If I was going to be critical of anything, I felt like DZ might have held back a little on his solos and really focused on the band as a whole, which is interesting to me seeing now the the show is DZPZ instead of ZPZ. Past shows I’ve felt like DZ was the main attraction, rightfully so, but the show last night really came off as a team effort. So this is more of a kudos. Pete was kinda hangin out with Joe and Chris most of the night rather than out front. Jamie was doing his thing that he does so well supporting the sound. Being a sax player, I do focus on Sheila quite a bit. Last night everyone was on point, Ben has really come a long way. I like that last night didn’t feel like a solo fest like the last show I saw at house of blues in Boston (although I still can’t get over Sheila’s Gumbo that opened that show). Less can be more and it doesn’t become the whole I’m peaking I’m peaking thing. With that said, I feel that everyone could have turned their solo’s up a notch based on past performances that just make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Thanks guys for making my week.

My hair is getting good in the back,

rfus[/quote]

Hello from Tulsa , just curious if you could shed some light on just who the hell the opening band is ....I assumed it would be Corea's band and ZPZ would be the headliner .......im getting conflicting stories as of late , also wondered if there is any new merchandise available at the shows or are they still trying to pawn off the 2010 stuff ...if you have time please respond to my personal email zappalaney@yahoo.com....................................thanks so much from a swealtering HOT Tulsa...Laney :)