Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 24 November 2011: Basingstoke, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Anvil in Basingstoke, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 24 November 2011: Basingstoke, UK
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 am 

Beautiful show as always. Please come back again and again. For now, I only have to wait until next Wednesay when I see you again in Bristol. Looking forward to it.

Thanks folks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:02 pm 

Went for the VIP pass, we watched Dweezil and the band do the sound check, lasted for about an hour at the end Dweezil sat and chatted for at least an hour at one point he was asked if he wanted people to hurry up and have less time with him, but he said no he was happy to carry on and meet everyone.

The concert was better than I ever expected. Dweezil and the band were brilliant, Apostrophe [the whole album] sounded perfect as were all the other songs.
Every musician was top class and Ben Thomas is just the right person to do the singing. Did like his version of Yo Mama on whistle.

Thanks for a perfect night. Zappa Plays Zappa in my hometown.
Please return soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:13 pm 

During my wanderings, I came to an even more windswept place than the flatlands of Cambridgeshire. In what is supposedly the gentle rolling hills of Hampshire, I found the squalid hole that is Basingstoke. A monstrosity of concrete and metal that threatens the very fabric of the world.

Hark! In the distance I hear the gentle murmurings of music and to me a strangely familiar sound. I moved quickly to find the source of this comfort and to my surprise I found the same group of musicians that I had seen the previous evening! I was joyful! But then it occurred to me – what evil had they performed such that they be damned to be in this unholy place?

But the sound was very good. I recalled the shame with which I had moved and danced the previous evening, but I also remember the joy of hearing the music.

I sat and listened to more of the wonderful music, the way the notes move to and fro. The nature of the sound in the hall was as pure as clear water.
As I sat and listened, I remembered that it was the anniversary of the landing of the not-so-good ship “Fornication” and I had some vittels with me, in the shape of a chicken made of rubber. Or probably a rubber that is made of chicken. I had realised that these young people had travelled over from the colonies, so I thought it apt that I should share my good fortune with them and cast my food onto the stage for their edification. I even left a short note asking for a tune about my mother…….(or as I believe they say over in the colonies Yo’ Mama). And there was a beautiful acoustic short piece played by the upstanding young singer on the swannee whistle.

It was all too short, and soon it was the end of the musical pieces. I found myself on my feet again, whooping and a-hollering like a common varlet.

How low have I fallen? And how high shall I reach?

I have walked far and my foot has a strange smell. But I must continue my wanderings….