Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 29 November 2011: London, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Barbican in London, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 29 November 2011: London, UK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:18 am 

Exceptional performance.

Stunning instrumentalists, Dweezil and the band were phenomenal, and their playing with Frank was both technologically impressive and humanly moving.

Great crowd, great set. Nicely mixed too; suitably loud!

At the start of the encore Dweezil mentioned his signing during the sound check of a second copy of Zappa in NY for my dad (alongside one signed by Frank I had brought my dad for his birthday a month ago), this was indeed the icing on the top of what was already a very special gig. Those two vinyls will be especially treasured now.

Thank you for a great great night.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:46 am 

Absolutely stunning performance guys. I'm still smiling. Thankyou very much.
Your interpretations of Frank's work are inspiring and last night was no exception. Great set-list, exceptional musicians, tight band, humour & fun. It was heavenly.
I took my 17 year-old son along last night and we now have another Frank convert. For that alone I can't thank you enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:15 pm 

As I reached my destination, the fine old City of London I came to the great Castellation and at the front, the Barbican. Entering this sturdy building I could see a mighty throng and I followed suit, eager to see what the hordes were chasing.

Glory Be! It was the group of musicians that I had come across over the previous evenings! What joy! I sat myself down and the music began. Again, there was immense educational value in their exposition, starting with the importance of dental hygiene and how to start in business by oneself. More punc’tuation lessons followed as did an exposition of the iniquities of wearing the wrong form of night-time attire.

My spirits soared as the musicians played exquisitely through the evening, note upon note, melody upon melody. A focussed statement regarding the state of beauty in the world followed. And a new singer was uncovered! A young lady of excellent standing and vocal talent. I wonder if she will remain with the other musicians? Another singer displayed his esoteric wares, decrying the evils of gambling and leading to a final important piece, possibly named after one of the forefathers of William the Conqueror!

I was so overjoyed that I was finally able to share a Thanksgiving turkey with the musicians, which was gratefully received.

The evening finished with the joys of science, cooking and baked cakes.

I wish my musician friends well.

And now I must return to the real world. The stink from my foot is now unbearable and I’ve got one foot bigger than the other one is.

Adieu my firneds, adieu.