Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 30 November 2011: Bristol, UK
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Colston Hall in Bristol, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 30 November 2011: Bristol, UK
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:58 am 

What a GREAT show. The audience was well into it and the band really enjoyed it too. Thank you Dweezil for playing my request. Echidna's Arf (Of You) is definitely one of my favourites and follwed by Don't You Ever Wash That Thing, it was perfect.

Ben, I thought you were a ladies man but I guess not!!!! Ah well, no problem, you get paid anyway!!!

Top song selection and a really good vibe. See you next time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:59 am 

Yet again, a FANtastic show!
Can't thank you enough for coming back to Bristol, the only thing that made this time better for me, was the seats, I doubt I could have been closer.

Great set, feel VERY privileged to have seen Apostrophe played that close to me, please please please come back again!

Thanks also for taking the time to sign & chat to people, you have NO idea how much that seperates you from other artists, I asked for a clear signature from you so as to get it tattooed....watch this space!

Thanks again for a great night.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:41 pm 

fr****@@*ng Brilliant show, and once we were able to stand the atmosphere was electric, the spirit of Frank was evident (great playing, humour, audience participation). Please come back.
Thanks Love to all

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

Dweezil,

Absolutely great evening all around - inspired song selection, superb performances by the whole band (on a few occasions I had to try hard to hold the tears back…), Pete singing 50/50 (which I didn’t think anyone but Ricky Lancelotti could do - but he did - excellent), very clear sound and a top musician who came out to sign autographs as soon as the show had finished (this was really appreciated by all I can tell you that).

I can only re-iterate what I said to you last night (I was 4th in the queue for your autograph), thanks for learning the music and thanks for bringing it to those of us who didn’t have the opportunity to see Frank perform live.

Look forward to the next time and still hoping you can come to Wales (just over the bridge from Bristol ;-)).

PS - It took all my reserve not to pinch your guitar from the stage during intermission ;-). I've been researching the specs of the "Baby Snakes" SG for a while now and just need to get one made...

Last edited by Gansburg on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:51 pm 

Last night was so good, very emotional, very tight - especially the video links to Frank which were a seamless segue into the band and back again. Very tearful, those of us who weren't leaping about were paying homage believe me.
It was a great tribute to Frank without any crazy rock n roll BS. Dweez is self effacing, generous and a mean axe man - but the hard grafting rhythm guitarist completely blew us away with that complex solo. Drummer extremely tight, bass was blistering, keyboard player and wacky computer screeches could also sing, as could sax player, vibes a real jazzers treat and on vocals we got a stand out Frank, the voice, the antics, just right - but his radio mic was muddy and for those who didn't know 'Apostrophe' the lyrics were often lost. Complex music I don't know how the hell you remember it all and not miss a beat.
This was a gig to treasure. We all wanted Watermelon but I guess that will have to wait for next year when you come back with Joe's Garage. Ya gotta do it Dweez, we need a promise.
You guys worked your balls off for us and we love you for it.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:18 pm 

awesome! again!! I was at the back and could dance all the way through - many apologies to anyone who doesn't like that but my god, the atmost once everyone was dancing - this was my second time at Colston seeing ZPZ, it's a lovely place, sound is (almost always) great, and all through last night closing your eyes and hearing all that stuff going on was such a treat. ZPZ at Colston would be heaven if everyone was allowed to dance too, in peace and harmony. Hopefully the way the night went kept everyone happy. Sitting all through that would be hell for me. Hope the Uniformed Mind Enforcement Officer didn't take being booed too much to heart when he chased off the lone dancer!

A set list would be marvellous! Dweez sounded just magnificent in places, especially remember his soloing in Treacherous Cretins being Very Right, but I'm not sure what instrumentals were played all in all - what did they start with before Apostrophe? Bass playing in Apostrophe itself was fabbo and driving, to be fair all instrumentalists had standout moments - Scheila planting her boots and blowing near the end. Lovely vibes again which is a rare treat and I'd never seen Ben Thomas's solo - is it known as his "Michael McDonald" - I was seriously bent double laughing at that.

Many highlights for me - I lurve Cheepnis so wailed away through that, but all that Echicdna's / Don't You Ever stuff is just magnificent. I'm a big fan of Honey Don't You Like Man Like Me? and Dancing Fool sounded mighty good (when it's not one of my faves, to be honest there's ten or twenty songs that "aren't my favourite", I adore the other twelve hundred or so). City of Tiny lites was stunning, ditto What's the Ugliest, and let's face it Muffin Man is a great headbanging way to go out. Fifty Fifty beautifully sung (by the roadie? really?) and Pojama People was a treat too. Darned funky to dance to.

The atmosphere when everyone was dancing was goose pimply watching from the back.

Downside? None. A couple of times the level seemed to drop for a couple of minutes,at one time Dweez's guitar didn't seem to be cutting through, then it seemed to rectify - didn't matter because a couple of times when he was soloing it was like he was ramming a metal box of beauty down hard over my head, and what I felt were drops were only to the level of dead enjoyable - the other 98% seemed blatantly jawdroppingly amazing. Quite tight a band these days eh?

Come to Wales Dweez pleeeeeeeze. Buy mainly thanks, that's my fourth ZPZ so far and each was incredibly memorable. Long may it continue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:30 pm 

Seems to be a lot of Welsh Zappa fans here! I think ZPZ would really suit St. David's Hall in Cardiff! Such a nice venue and the clientele of the Hall is up ZPZ's street.

I am trying to put together a se tlist from the Colston Hall gig, I need your help though!! I'd like to thank Dweezil and the band for the choice of requests they chose to play. If I could have personally requested two songs it actually would have been Black Napkins (favorite guitar song ever) and Echidna's Arf (Of You) which is one of my all time favorite compositions. Anyway, here's what I have for the set list so far;

Black Napkins (with Frank Zappa live video: lead guitar)
Don't Eat Yellow Snow
Nanook Rubs It
St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
Father O'Blivion
Cosmik Debris (with Frank Zappa live video; vocals & lead guitar)
Excentrifugal Forz
Apostrophe(')
Uncle Remus
Stink-Foot
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing

My memory of the order of songs fades after this... so please help piece this together as well as add the ones I've missed!

Cheepnis, What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body, Pyjama People, Rollo, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me, 50/50, City Of Tiny Lites, Baby Snakes, Dancin' Fool, Muffin Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:38 pm 

Full set list and other goodies available here: http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/events

1 Black Napkins - FZ VIDEO SEGUE
2 Yellow Snow - SEGUE
3 Nanook Rubs It - SEGUE
4 St Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast - SEGUE
5 Father 'Oblivion- SEGUE
6 Cosmik Debris - FZ VIDEO
7 Exentrifugal Forz
8 Apostrophe - Pete, DZ
9 Uncle Remus
10 Stinkfoot
11 Echidna's Arf
12 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing? - Billy, Scheila, DZ

INTERMISSION

13 Treacherous Cretins - SEGUE
14 Cheepnis
15 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
16 Pojama People
17 What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? SEGUE
18 Chunga's Revenge - Ben, Billy, Jamie, Joe - SEGUE
19 City Of Tiny Lites - DZ Scheila
20 Fifty Fifty - Pete Jones, Chris, Billy, DZ
21 Rollo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:09 pm 

Made my big toe shoot right up in my boot! 50/50, where did you find that guy?, the vocal was just unbelieveable! spot bloody on. I loved it when City on tiny lights kicked in, the gig went up another level! the only down side was that women [god blees her socks] who threw caution to the wind and launched herself at the stage with such gay abandon only to have a security guy 3 times her weight force her back to her seat and then only allow her to continue within an area 2-3 feet from there. I admire your restrain Dweezel, I think yer pa might have reacted in a slightly more reactive manner!! Still, you would have made the old man V happy with the crafty use of The all time classic Dancin fool soon after with an encore, all was addresed, punters happy,[and dancin] bouncers slightly embarassed and the freedom of true natural spirit restored.
The gig was special for me as the era I was mainly Zapped was 1978 - 1983 so this was perfect. When I first heard you were touring with your Fathers music I must abmit I was a bit dubious, but when I sat myself down in the Royal albert hall 5 years or so ago and saw the gig along with Steve vai [an alien force] and the evergreen and quiet extrordinary Napolien Murphy Brock I was hooked again. Keep touring if you can and thanks for signing the card , we were second in the que ! I have a great photo of you and my son Sam. I super glued the plectrum you gave him to his amp! otherwise it would have found it's way to 'plectrum town nr Atlantis' [you can really get down there] within days!! Thanks Dweezel top job son. Harvey.