Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 26 June 2012: Rochester NY
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Kodak Hall @ Eastman Theatre in Rochester NY?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 26 June 2012: Rochester NY
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm 

Unfortunate technical problems with their complex in-ear monitoring system. Dweezil explained at the start of the show and I think it affected their performance somewhat. Like the consummate professionals they are, the show went on. Seemed a little shaky at first, but they battled through and still put on a fine show. DZ has definitely been doing his homework. Local music critic panned the Van Halen joke/tribute. I thought it was great. Wish it had been longer... I could have sat there for hours. Took my 15 year old son (a phenomenal musician in his own right) to the show and he was blown away. Classical music venue made it tough to get a good foh mix, but it got straightened out after a couple songs. City Of Tiny Lights rocked my fucking world. Wish they were playing near here again soon. I would go back and see this show over and over.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:22 am 

Yes! Me and a group of friends were at our sixth (or was it our seventh?) ZPZ concert -- this one at the Eastman Theater. We are all HUGE Fans of ZPZ, and of Frank of course! This concert was rather disappointing though in that the sound was terribly muddled. It did improve somewhat -- especially during the trio song Apostrophe. Although Dweezil did warn us that it was going to be a challenge, we were in no way prepared for the poor sound quality (BTW we were in the good seats on the floor). Perhaps a new sound board man was working tonight? Or is the Eastman theater that non-conducive to rock-oriented music? I am sure Dweezil sensed it as well because he asked the crowd on a couple of occasions "how does this sound out there?" And where wNas the xylophone and percussion? Even though Joe Travers did his usual spectacular job on the drum kit, Zappa music without a xylophone just sounds incomplete!

It was just unfortunate that an opportunity for ZPZ to reach a whole new market, was so tainted. I know we talked up the show to many people who had never seen them live before and I am sure we'll catch hell for it. (I also thought the David Lee Roth bit was unnecessary as well. I'd much rather have heard another Zappa song!)

Bottom line: you could "hear" the talent on stage, but it sounded horrible. (Sorry Dweezil!)

We look forward to seeing them later on in the tour, to erase the memory of this concert. Perhaps at Albany or the Cleveland HOB in July?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:31 pm 

When I first seen ZPZ in 06 / 07 tour in Providence ... This was the standard that they have not come close to in three other shows I have seen...Not sure what’s wrong...Professionals need to make it happen no excuses....Plus the show was way too short for the money Not sure I will be going back....
Bring back some of the old crew

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 pm 

Dan here again Scheila Gonzalez's solo was top shelve.... very very cool

Dan