Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11 December 2012: Covington, KY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Madison Theater in Covington, KY?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 11 December 2012: Covington, KY
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 am 

Excellent show, full of energy and fantastic music even though Dweezil detected some distortion in the mix for the drums at points. The band played a lot of tunes that I had resigned myself to believing that I would never hear live. Anyone who loves Zappa's music, or just plain loves great musicians playing skilled compositions should not miss ZPZ.
the setlist for the evening was as follows:

-Chunga's Revenge
-Hungry Freaks Daddy
-Teenage Prostitute
-Montana
-Village of the Sun/Echidna's Arf...
-Penguin In Bondage
-Pygmy Twylyte/Dummy Up (jam only, not including the comedy bit)
-Idiot Bastard Son
-I'm So Cute
-Baby Snakes
-Tryin' To Grow A Chin
-Harder Than Your Husband
-Wind Up Workin' In A Gas Station
-Ride My Face to Chicago
-Motherly Love
-Oh No
-Let's Make The Water Turn Black (Instrumental)
-Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance
-Outside Now
-Debra Kadabra
-Who Are The Brain Police?
-Sofa No.1
-Packard Goose
--encore break--
-Cosmik Debris
-Whippin' Post
-Strictly Genteel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:25 am 

Who in the world was that amazing amber girl on stage last night??!! She danced like a goddess...send out the video man I gotta see that again. Great music and show guys thanks for bringing her up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 am 

That was a fantastic show! My 11th ZPZ experience and I was able to take one of my customers for his 1st show. He was floored by the band. We did the VIP package which gets you in for soundcheck. It is well worth the extra $20 if you get the opportunity! Job well done. One note on PapaFrogs setlist. The opening tune was Sexual Harassment in the Workplace and not Chunga's Revenge. It is the opening for the new Dweezil CD 'FOH III-Out of Obscurity' which you should pick up if you have not already done so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:03 am 

Fantastic show! Too bad Dweezil was having problems with his monitor. I was up in the front the whole night (right in front of Schelia who was amazing as usual!) & thought the sound was incredible. I was worried about them not having a percussionest/vibe player with them this time out but they did just fine without one. I loved that they did Packard Goose & Who are the Brain Police? I loved it all! I hope Dweezil can keep this going for many years to come. I know that i will always be there!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm 

Zappa is music for musicians - and is not for babies. I've seen Dweezil 6 times in 6 years, and he did not disappoint. I was worried that we had no special guests, Billy on mallet percussion was out - but the show was one of the best live shows I've ever seen !

When Dweezil first started ZPZ - he was pretty doe-eyed, and seemed happy just to get his dad's music played without error. Now - he is a showman in his own right, with a solo style that is part Frank - part Steve Vai, - with a little Van Halen thrown in. Clearly, Dweezil is amoung the best R&R guitarists alive, and is really coming into his own.

Sheila Gonzales - DAMN! Her new Betty Page look is great, and she still has the chops to perform the most varied show - from do-wap 50's style to 80's punk.

The Zappa crowds are always top notch - from 8 to 80, respectful, and sitting down most of the time. They are clearly here to listen, not party til they puke. Rest up - you will hear more notes played in one song than you usually here in an entire concert, and the complexity of the music can overwhelm some listeners. Be prepared, take a nap beforehand.

Do not miss this tour - it is life affirming.