Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 19 December 2012: Boise, ID
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at Knitting Factory in Boise, ID?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 19 December 2012: Boise, ID
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:33 am 

Just got home from the ZPZ show at the Knitting Factory here in Boise. My 4th ZPZ show. Saw FZ twice in the 70s. The show tonight was great - a youngster named Tatum was brought from the crowd and played drums with the band for a bit - was he a plant? We'll never know, but it was fun, and he was thrilled. He really laid it down. Ben gets better at every show, and Scheila was awesome.

Dweezil wondered aloud whether FZ had ever played in Boise. I have the definitive answer:
YES, at least once. I saw he and the Roxy band here in March of 1974. Russo's "The Son of Revised Cosmik Debris" shows it as March 19, 1974. I was home for spring break from college. They played in a pavilion building at the fairgrounds here. Not a great venue, but I was knocked out by the show. Very sparsely attended 300 people, maybe, but the band played their asses off. "Ladies and gentlemen, watch Ruth......" We sat on a little wooden riser on the floor. Great seats!

The ZFT might have a pictorial record of the show. During one of the tunes, FZ put down his SG, and grabbed what looked like an Arriflex 16mm motion picture camera (I was a broadcast student). As he put it to his shoulder, he said words to the effect, "Everyone stay where you are, I want to remember Boise just as I see it now" and then started filming. Who knows, maybe Joe Travers or some other archivist can find the film.

At that 1974 show Frank had a rather large African-American gentlemen just to his left on stage behind the speakers who took his coat as he prepared to play. Would that have been John Smothers back then?

I saw FZ again in Spokane Oct 1975. FZ, Napoleon, Terry, Andre, and Roy.

Thanks for coming to Boise and making my Christmas.
Byron