Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 29 January 2013: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at the Variety Theater in Atlanta, GA?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 29 January 2013: Atlanta, GA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 am 

Cool. I get to be the first one to comment! What needs to be said except "Great effin' show!?" OK, I'll say more. Saw Dweezil and company open up for Return to Forever at the Fox Theater in Atlanta in 2012. Had wanted to see ZPZ before but schedules, life, etc interferred. Once I got a sip I wanted a full cup of the kool-aid. Had that opportunity tonight and it was great. Anyone who wasn't there, well sorry for you. I have loved Frank's music for more than 30 years (and I love Dweezil's stuff too just not for as long) and it was great to see his son and friends truly showcase the genius that is FZ tonight. The band was great! You've got to see this act live. You can feel the love and appreciation for Frank Zappa's music coming from this band, not only from his son, but the other musicians as well. It's like they were channeling a benevolent spirit coming to save us all from mediocre music.

Best of all, Dweezil announced that tonight's show was the 500th one for ZPZ. As a special treat during the encore he brought out FZ alum Denny Walley, Georgia native, who killed on slide guitar.

Scheila Gonzalez' sax solos are sonic socks to the senses. Worth the price of admission.

Keep up the great work ZPZ. I look forward to seeing you all again.

Paul Latta
AKA Rock Dinosaur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:52 pm 

Yes, you must see this band live. I've seen them 5 or 6 times now and check everyday for a new concert tour in my area. I take people unfamiliar with Frank's music and they become instant fans. The music is great and the band is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm 

WOW! WOW! WOW!

to get to hear this music in a live setting played to perfection like this is like a complete and total Eargasm. Dweezil's band is amazing, soo tight and fun. the way they just rip through these songs just blows me away last night that played "Packard Goose" - this is one of my all-time favorite songs ever in the history of rock and or roll music. I swear when Shiela came in with Marys lines i had hairs standing up on the back of my neck. i was completely moved. It was incredible.

Another thing I really liked was that for a nice chunk of the set Dweezile focused on rare and obscure songs. “harder than your husband”, “Evil Prince” –stuff you don’t hear a lot. I told my buddy last night I would have loved to go in and hear all my favorite songs.. but at the same time to hear some of the more obscure odd stuff was such a treat and it was all so well played.

I can’t speak highly enough about the caliber of musicians that are in this line up. Sheila is just incredible, multiple instruments, vocals, spunk and stage presence. To see her and Ben and Chris up there laughing and having so much fun is very contagious. I love the goofy looks and grins that Dweezil gives Ben when he is getting really into it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm 

A marvelous display of musicianship-ality-itis! I was that guy - 4th row center-ish with the Hollywood shirt -loving every note and eyebrow! Such a great set of tunes - so many from which to choose. "Hungry Freaks Daddy" (it felt like a nice tribute to Mother Ray Collins, who certainly gave a velvety-smooth performance on everything he sang with Frank); "Who Are The Brain Police?" (with that nice long semi-dissonant chord held out at the end and a subtle kick tap to cue the silence - it was perfect); "Harder Than Your Husband" (so much to take from "You Are What You Is" but this was my fave anyway - my friends know how much I always enjoyed this one. DZ, I could see you exploring a Tele with one of those Parsons b-bender contraptions to better cop those Vai-rendered faux-country-cry-in-my-beer licks); "Moggio" with a nice Vai story in front - the intro to that song always sounded like a curious splice, but it and the rest of the tune were performed flawlessly - incredible sub-dividing going on with these "yo cats"; and as if you had read my mind, you played the YCTOSAv4 (or Sampler) rendition of "The Evil Prince", a Ray White tour-de-forz that goes down as my favorite FZ track of all time! It was a labor of love to recreate that performance - I can hear it if I close my eyes... "Well well well now, this the nasty sucker..." Great bass lick going into the start of the verse - the bassist even slightly resembles Thunes, with his plectrum-picked-P-bass. How lucky am I to witness this? Great vocals, kazoos, stage personas, energy, sincerity, and communication. Nice to have Denny Walley up there - DZ heard me call out "He used to cut the grass..." and he continued with "...he was a very nice boy." Those are great moments I will cherish. Real nice Strictly Genteel to close it out - a fitting showcase for the prolific composer being honored with these rocking teenage combo tours. Thank you Dweezil and thank you band and crew! Please come back and do it again and again and again!