Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 11 November 2013: London, UK
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:27 am 
Site Admin

Did you attend the ZPZ show at the Shepherd’s Bush Empire in London, UK?

Dweezil and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey
Zappa.com Webmeister

Post subject: Re: 11 November 2013: London, UK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 am 

What a great concert! The band were tight, relaxed and having so much fun at the same time.
The Roxy Album was a joy to hear, as well as tracks like Teenage Wind, Torture and I Came From Nowhere, along with a great story about Frank writing it. The dance contest was very entertaining and, eventually, most of the audience were on their feet joining in.
There was a shock when it was announced the theatre had a sound curfew and only 15 minutes remained, it came as a surprise to Dweezil as well and he had to rethink the rest of the set. Someone in the crowd shouted "F**k the curfew" and Dweezil laughed and replied "if you want to pay the fine we'll carry on playing".
Then someone must have pulled strings, paid, or something. Dweezil said "OK we've got a bit more time" and said they were going back to the setlist.
They finished with Florentine Pogen which had the crowd on their feet throughout.
With the curfew thing hanging over the hall the possibility of an encore seemed remote but the band came back on and they played.....
Watermelon in Easter Hay!!

I had tears in my eyes as I listened to Dweezil's beautiful rendition. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Dweezil was visibly moved by playing this and wiped away tears while he played.
This was the second time he played this in public, they played it at the Beacon Theatre on Halloween and I thought that would be a one off.
To hear it played that night was very special. Thank you Dweezil for playing it. For you it must be a difficult song to play, both physically and emotionally.
For us in the audience it was a pleasure and an honour to have it played for us, and for that I thank you.

See you next tour.