You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 4
Official Release #56
Originally Released: June 14, 1991
Produced, arranged, compiled and edited by FRANK ZAPPA
Engineering supervision for the entire series: BOB STONE
Art direction by FZ:gz
This series has taken more than 20 years to put together. It provides a comprehensive collection of unreleased live material (absolutely no overdubs), beginning with the earliest tapes (7½ ips analog two-track), up to the most recent material from the 1988 big-band tour (48 track digital).
Great care has been taken to ensure the best audio quality, however, some early selections by the original Mothers Of Invention, though not exactly “hi-fi,” have been included for the amusement of those fetishists who still believe that the only “good” material was performed by that particular group. (Comparison to the performances of some of the later ensembles should finally put an end to that quaint fantasy.)
THIS COLLECTION IS NOT CHRONOLOGICAL.
Any band from any year can be (and often is) edited to the performance of any other band from any other year–sometimes in the middle of a song. The selections were chosen as answers to these hypothetical questions:
(1) Is this the best recorded version of THIS SONG by THIS BAND?
(2) Is there some “folkloric” significance to the performance?
(3) Is it a premiere recording?
(4) Is it a “one-time-only” performance of an improvised event?
(5) Is there a good solo in it?
(6) Will it give “Conceptual Continuity Clues” to the hard-core maniacs with a complete record collection?
(7) Does the inclusion of the song help the stylistic flow of the album sequence by providing contrast or relief?
(8) Is there film or video tape of the performance?
We hope you enjoy “YOU CAN’T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE” Volume Four and will eventually find time to hear the entire collection.
The “YOU CAN’T DO THAT ON STAGE ANYMORE” Series is dedicated to the musicians who play on it, and to the listeners who have appreciated them for the last 25 years.